Improving My Dynamic Range

Reflecting on the year: This year is drawing to a close and as part of a retrospective look on the year I am finishing and publishing several blog posts that at one point I started and never completed.

While in Philadelphia I sent some time playing around with High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography. For me to create images containing a larger dynamic range than my camera is able to capture I took several exposures with different EV values, to capture highlights, mid-tones, and shadows in detail and then composited the images together to create on image with a larger dynamic range than I would normally be able to capture.

Untitled_HDR6-Recovered

Philadelphia Museum of Art at night with HDR

Untitled_HDR6-comparison

Left is the HDR composited image and on the right is a single exposure

Advertisements

Lit πŸ”₯

Reflecting on the year: This year is drawing to a close and as part of a retrospective look on the year I am finishing and publishing several blog posts that at one point I started and never completed. Here are some photos from September that I never got around to publishing.

For some photography practice my roommate and I set up a shoot where we would be dunking roses in isopropyl alcohol and photographing them burning.

DSC07995

Using a tennis ball test shot for setup

DSC07997

A rose before being treated with isopropyl alcohol

DSC08227

Rose full burn

For some added fun I grabbed a few 3D printed objects from calibrating my printer and we staged a few shots with them as well.

DSC08209